Sunday, February 21, 2010

Get to know Hollis!

Hello everyone! Hollis is one of the fantastic violinists that work with us at HCM. Becky and I met her through the Greater Baltimore Youth Orchestra Bridges Program about 3 years ago, and she has been playing with us ever since. A fantastic and diverse musician, we always have a fabulous time with her, and we hope you enjoy her Q&A!

Q. What inspired you to become a musician?

A. Growing up, I always loved the different aspects of being a musician, from practicing to performing. I also loved the camaraderie and friendships that developed from being around people who shared my passion for music. After taking several music classes in college, I decided to pursue degrees in it (B.M. Converse College, M.M. Peabody) and have music as my career.

Q. What brought you to Baltimore, and what about Baltimore has made you remain after school?

A. I came to Baltimore to attend Peabody for my master's degree. By graduation, I realized how much I loved the city, and decided to stay. The people here are wonderful, and I found it very easy to "put down roots" here. In addition, there are so many opportunities for musicians here, and the city is very supportive of the arts.

Q. What is the best part about playing for weddings?

A. I love looking at the fashion! Everyone always looks so beautiful, and every wedding is different and special with its own style. It's really a treat to see. And of course, it feels wonderful to play my own part in making the ceremony special through music.

Q. What is your favorite moment from an HCM gig?

A. Rebecca, Anna, Kate and I were playing for a large, busy reception. A little girl wearing a cute, fluffy dress emerged out of the crowd and just stood watching us for such a long time. She was absolutely fascinated by the instruments and music! It was really adorable, and I was touched to see someone getting so much pleasure from our music.

Q. What kind of music do you listen to in your down time?

A. I listen to some of everything, but recently I've been enjoying a lot of world music, particularly Middle-Eastern and Irish. I also love Coldplay and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Q. What do you do with yourself when you aren't playing your instrument?

A. When I'm not playing my violin, I'm usually writing music. When I'm not doing that, I love going to the gym, cooking and reading.

Q. What is the best part about living in Baltimore?

A. I like that it's made up so many little communities, each with their own vibe and style. Though different, they're each charming; it is Charm City after all, right?

Q. What is your favorite piece to play during ceremonies?

A. It's hard to pick just one, but I would have to go with 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.' It's so elegant and romantic!

Q. What type of music do you love to play?

A. Again, there are so many different types I love. Tangos might be at the top of the list though; they have so much class and flair.

Q. What is the greatest thing about being a musician?

A. The greatest thing is that there's always something new every day. No rehearsal, performance, or event is ever the same twice. That makes life very interesting, and usually in a good way!

Q. If you could give one piece of advice to a bride, what would it be?

A. Listen to how wonderful our Hill Chamber Music ensemble sounds. :) Ok, well, you should, but really I would say to just enjoy your day. Make the most out of every moment, because the day really does fly by. If you can just savor it, then you'll have a store of wonderful memories to look back on for the rest of your life.

Q. What do you do in your spare time?

A. I love spending time with my husband. We like to go to the city to visit museums and favorite pubs, and we also like to go hiking whenever we get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment